Making Design Decisions: How to design effective user interfaces at warp-speed
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5-star review:
I’m loving this workbook! The step-by-step process and practical examples make it easy to make solid design decisions on the fly, even in our high-pressure, competitive market. And Tommy’s research and experience is evident. It’s like having a mentor in my back pocket.
- Steve Sewell, CEO @ Builder.io
This book outlines a step-by-step process for making good design decisions quickly.
This price will increase this summer (when new content is updated).
While this workbook incorporates a few beginner concepts, it is not a beginner's guide for pre-career designers. It is a reference handbook for product builders.
It is the culmination of 13 years of practice, mentorship, and research collected throughout my career. I created it for craftspeople who are in the trenches of shipping digital products in highly competitive markets or finding product-market fit via rapid market entry.
My mission is to help you if you've ever said to yourself:
- “Does this UI design decision matter?”
- “I wish I could think and move faster in my design workflow."
- “I want to align my UI decisions to our business goals."
Inside the Handbook
How much would you save if you could stop overthinking design decisions?
In this handbook, I detail the practical steps you can take to immediately improve the speed and quality of your design decisions. I provide you with examples and templates that you can apply right away.
I have one singular goal: make you a faster, smarter, and more competitive design decision maker.
To achieve this, I’ll provide you with:
- A set of rules and tools for starting design tasks
- A system for matching market decisions with UI decisions
- A framework for creating warp-speed UI decisions
- A step-by-step guide for crafting those ideas (Q2 2023)
- A catalog of reusable UI patterns (Q2 2023)
Part 1: Design decision framework (version 1 - January 13)
Learn the strategy for rapid-firing through design decisions. You'll learn:
- How to create a scaffold for starting new projects
- Most important psychology in modern UX
- How to evaluate your market and make UI design bets
- How to automate your decisioning workflow
Part 2: Default design rules (version 2 - Q3 2023)
Quickly reference basic and advanced interface tactics. You'll get:
- A step-by-step process for crafting interfaces
- Basic UI patterns library
- Advanced UI patterns library
Part 3: Bonus Content
- UI Evaluation Checklist
- UX Psychology Cheatsheet
- Interactive Notion template for all resources
- Video course (Q3 2023)
- Audiobook version (Q3 2023)
- Access to the Bridgecrafters Design community (Q3 2023)
- Figma UI patterns template (Q4 2023)
I reference research and best practices for interface design. These practices change over time as new research becomes available. Because of this, I will regularly update this workbook with new information and course material.
Am I the right teacher for you?
My name is Tommy Geoco, and I'll be your instructor.
Over the last 13 years, I've worked throughout Silicon Valley, led design organizations, and co-founded a startup that grew $100M+ in revenue for Twitch streamers.
I've launched 5 products, built 3 design teams, sold 1 startup, and helped a mid-market company break the $billion barrier.
While I'm proud of my accomplishments, I encourage you to evaluate me on 3 personal promises:
- I will only teach you things that have been proven to work for me.
- I will continuously improve this workbook with your feedback and new research.
- I will add new, meaningful content as this workbook evolves into a video course in 2023
What people are saying...
"This book is a game-changer for designers, packed with real-world tips and practical exercises that helped me make a tough design call in just 15 minutes - 5 stars!" - James, Senior Product Designer
"I spent my Monday reading this handbook and applying the learning. Every sentence is gold and makes so much sense." - Sara, Senior Product Designer
"It really helps to make design decisions as fast as possible, as this workbook called it, at warp-speed!" - Steve, Content Designer
"Permanent Beta" Roadmap
This price will continue to increase as new content is added.
This price will increase as more content and assets are updated. This handbook will evolve to include a self-paced video course and a modern UI pattern library. By Q2 2023, this price will exceed $249.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the release date for the handbook?
Version 1 releases on January 13, 2023 at 4PM PST.
If I order on pre-sale, will I have to pay for future community or workshop access?
No - what you pay today is the only price you'll pay for any future updates to this workbook and its community.
Is there a physical copy?
No - I will be regularly updating this workbook for the foreseeable future. Until it becomes cost effective to produce a physical copy with a predictable update schedule, it will remain electronic so that every customer can receive those updates.
Is there an audiobook?
Yes - it is scheduled to be released in Q3 2023. It will be read by me personally.